One day I'm at work when I see the message light on my phone blinking. As I go through the process of retrieving this missed information, I learn that I had miss a call from the HR Director.
"Hey... You didn't punch yesterday so I assume you called in." I had just submitted my time edit form because I had forgotten my badge on the day in question. I called the Director back immediately.
"I just submitted my form today it's in your mailbox."
She replied, "that's not my problem, you got a letter in your check last month stating I would be submitting this info early due to the holiday and you should have turned it in yesterday."
This is where my younger self would have called her all kinds of names and told her what to do with herself, but I've grown.
I sat quietly on the line until she said "hello are you there?"
I quietly replied "um hum, yes I'm here."
Then more silence.
Then she says "I'll see what I can do."
I replied in an even quieter voice, "thank you and have a good evening."
When my check came it was correct. She may have said my check wasn't her problem but her actions indicated she believed I would have been a big problem. It must have been the quiet voice I used, its very polite but holds just a touch of tempered fury beneath the surface. As a no-nonsense mom, I have perfected that tone.
I have not had anymore issues with my HR Director or my checks since.
No comments:
Post a Comment