Saturday, February 25, 2017

This morning I woke up to my husband saying "she's calling you."

My daughter  was calling out to me in her sleep.

I stumbled into her room half awake, untangled her from her blankets and stuffed bed buddies and neatly tucked her back in. I shuffled back to bed where Ray continued to sleep the early morning hours away.  As soon as I got comfty and snuggled up on my side of the bed, I realized... I was awake for the day. 

No biggie.

I grabbed my novel off the bedside table and headed for the living room. I am currently reading Liane Moriarty's 'What Alice Forgot.'

I curled up on my couch and the sun was up enough at 730am that I didn't need to turn on a light . I had settled in to enjoy the peace and quiet of my sleeping house hold.

One paragraph into chapter 20, I hear little feet on the hardwood hallway floor.  Livy comes straight to me, I opened my blanket to her and we snuggled up on my couch of quiet serenity.

Then it dawned on me; the homing beacon this kid has on me is amazing. Every morning that I wake up before her no matter what room of the house I am in or how quiet I think I am being she comes directly to me. 

I once asked her who her person was?

She asked "what is my person mean?"

She's 4 years old. She has not mastered the fine art of speaking with perfection.

I explained, "your person is the person you like most in the world. Your favorite person."

She did not hesitate. She proudly decided and immediately responded, "Daddy! Daddy is my person."

I must admit, my feeling were a little bit hurt. Not unlike how I felt when this little person that took 32 hours of hard labor to bring into this world said her first words to me and they were " Dada hi!"

I quickly got over my feeling because after all my Dad was my favorite person.

I want my daughter to know that kind of loving relationship with her Dad. So chin up, and pride swallowed. I accepted that my husband was doing an awesome job which had been verbally validated by this miniature person that we secretly feared we would ruin with our imperfect parenting. After all there really should be a book that comes with each kid. I'm just saying.

Anyway... this morning made me realize that while I may not be my daughter's "person," she makes me feel like I am the only person in her world and I wouldn't trade that feeling for anything.

I am truly amazed at the overwhelming power of  a child's love.  It's a gift and I am forever grateful.



#Morningcuddleswithmommy

No comments:

Post a Comment